Your Students today… Leaders tomorrow
Coaching Techniques for Language Teachers to Enhance Teenagers’ 21st Century Competencies
The course aims to equip language teachers with basic coaching techniques that will help them support their students’ performance of life competencies such as teambuilding, problem solving, critical thinking, communication, creative thinking and negotiation.
The course objectives are to provide coaching techniques that can be used in the language classroom with any published or self-made material designed to achieve life competencies.
The course will provide a structure for the learning process when dealing with life competencies and also provide trainees the necessary tools to help their students make informed decisions through powerful and effective questioning.
The course is by no means intended to qualify teachers to become professional coaches.
Teachers who wish to qualify as a coach should seek an accredited coaching course which can be found on the International Coaching Federation website.
The course is moderated by International House World Organisation Assessment Unit
After attending the course, trainees will be able to:
- Understand the difference between coaching and teaching;
- Analyze some essential coaching skills and practices;
- Guide their students towards their personal strengths;
- Understanding and managing diverse personalities;
- Master powerful questioning;
- Guide their students towards effective communication;
- Provide tools to effectively set and track goals;
- Create effective teams;
- Guide their students to develop critical thinking skills;
- Use projects to develop life competencies.
The course consists of the following:
- 1 live online preparatory module of an hour and a half (1.5 hour synchronous online);
- 7 live online core modules of an hour and a half each (10.5 hours synchronous online);
- Approximately 3 hours of self study per week including completion of pre module tasks, end of module tasks and participation to discussion forums (24 hours self study time);
- Approximately 4 hours for the end of course task (estimated time to complete the task: 4 hours self study time);
- Total of 40 hours: 12 synchronous and 28 self study time.
The live online preparatory module and core modules will take place once a week for a total of 8 weeks on the day and time showed on the registration form.
Palmina La Rosa
I started my career as a language teacher in the Italian school system 30 years ago. I taught English language and literature in the secondary school holding a degree in English Language Literature issued by IULM – The Institute of Modern Languages in Milan.
I took the International House Diploma in Educational Management with IH London which helped me in transitioning from a teacher to a manager.
I founded Giga International House (whose former name was Giga International Language School) in 1997.
In 2000 the school was accredited by AISLi – the Italian Association of Language Schools for which I have been Director of Operations from 2005 to 2016 and President from 2016 to 2020.
In 2015 my school was affiliated to International House World Organization.
Giga International House is an authorised Cambridge Assessment English Exam Centre, offering all range of exams and CELTA courses, and is also a British Council IELTS venue.
I hold a certificate in High Impact Leadership issued by the University of Cambridge Institute of Sustainability Leadership.
I became a qualified Coach, holding a certificate of merit in NSL Coaching approved by International Coaching Federation, in 2018.
I am a member of the International Coaching Federation and an IATEFL LAMSIG member.
In January 2021, I founded Coaching Training and Development (CTD), a division of Giga IH. CTD aims at providing language teachers with useful coaching techniques to support students in practising 21st century competencies.
I am dedicated to pursuing excellence conveying passion and enthusiasm for my work.
I believe that professional development and improvement are the basis on which a career is founded.
Who is the course for?
The course is for private and state school language teachers who want to advance in their professional development. Trainees must be interested in learning coaching techniques which will help their students enhance their life competencies.
The course was originally designed for teachers who teach teenagers. However, the techniques can also be applied to adult classes. These techniques are not ideal for teachers that specialise in teaching young learners.
Because the course will prepare teachers to support teenagers in developing their 21st century competencies, it is fundamental that applicants meet the following requirements:
- Have an initial teaching qualification;
- Have at least two years teaching experience preferably to teenagers;
- English language proficiency at an equivalence to level B2 of the Common European Framework (CEFR) – Teachers with a good B2 level can also be accepted but an interview will be organized prior to enrolment to be sure that the language will not create a barrier to the natural flow of the course;
- Be interested in personal growth and self development.
Here follows a table with the topics of each online synchronous training session:
Preparatory Module: Coaching vs Teaching – Introduction to 21st century competencies
Module 1: The Leader in You
Module 2: Effective questioning and Active Listening
Module 3: Effective Communication
Module 4: Vision and Goals
Module 5: Team building
Module 6: Critical Thinking
Module 7: Coaching Techniques to lead projects
From 10:00 to 11:30 – Italian time
October 12 – Novembre 30
From 4:30 to 6:00 – Italian time
October 21 – December 9
Option 1Save € 50
Option 2Save € 30
For Italian teachers, the course is available on the digital platform S.O.F.I.A.
Please note you need to use the following codes: 59117 and 59119